Recent motorcycle accidents in Charleston, SC highlight the need for 1) caution if you are going to take to the roads in or around Chucktown and 2) caution if you are a motorist or truck driver traveling on Charleston’s streets.
Often, motorcycle accidents are caused by another driver’s negligence in failing to look for motorcycles on the road before turning or changing lanes – Look Twice, Save a Life.
Below, I’ll summarize some recent motorcycle accidents in Charleston, SC and the surrounding area and discuss what you can do if you or a family member is a motorcycle crash victim.
Recent Motorcycle Accidents in Charleston, SC
Charleston has more than its share of motorcycle accidents – a few recent examples include:
- Fatal motorcycle accident on King Street in Charleston – a 30-year-old man died from blunt force injuries in a single motorcycle collision last month,
- Non-fatal motorcycle accident in West Ashley – a motorcyclist suffered non-life-threatening injuries after a collision with a car in a motorcycle accident on St. Andrews Boulevard in Charleston County yesterday,
- Fatal motorcycle crash in James Island – a motorcyclist died from his injuries after a motorcycle accident near Seaside Lane and Ft. Johnson Road on James Island last month,
- Fatal motorcycle accident in North Charleston – a rider was killed in a motorcycle wreck on Cross County Road in North Charleston, SC in April of 2021,
- Hit and run motorcycle accident in Charleston, SC – in September of 2020, a driver hit a motorcycle on I-26 in Charleston and then left the scene, causing the interstate to be shut down for several hours. The driver and a passenger on the motorcycle were injured and taken to the hospital.
- Fatal motorcycle accident in Beaufort – a motorcyclist was killed after crashing in Beaufort County on Shiney Road in April of 2021,
- Fatal crash in Berkeley County – a motorcyclist was killed last month when they crashed four miles south of Cross, SC near Ranger Drive,
- Fatal motorcycle accident in Monck’s Corner – a 35-year-old man was killed after a crash in Monck’s Corner, SC.
- Fatal crash in Goose Creek – a 22-year-old man died after a crash involving two other vehicles on St. James Avenue in Goose Creek, SC,
- Motorcycle crash in Walterboro, SC – a 28-year-old man was hospitalized with life-threatening, traumatic injuries after colliding with an SUV in Walterboro, SC this month, and
- Motorcycle crash with a wild boar in Walterboro, SC – in February of this year, a motorcycle hit a wild boar in Walterboro, SC, throwing the driver and passenger from the bike, injuring the passenger and killing the driver.
Motorcycle Accident Lawsuits in Charleston, SC
What can you do if you are hurt in a motorcycle accident?
If the collision was caused by another person’s negligence – their failure to look, drunkenness, or failure to observe traffic laws, for example, you are entitled to compensation for the damage to your motorcycle, personal injury, and wrongful death if a family member was killed.
The Charleston, SC motorcycle accident lawyers at the Boles Law Firm can help you to recover full and fair compensation from the at-fault driver or their insurance company through settlement or trial.
Compensation for Personal Injury in Charleston, SC Motorcycle Accidents
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident in Charleston, SC, that was caused by another motorist, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries, including:
- Your medical costs – hospital bills, EMS, doctor’s bills, medications, and medical equipment,
- Your future medical costs – future treatment and long-term care when needed,
- Lost wages for the time you were unable to work while recovering from your injuries,
- Future lost income if you were disabled because of the crash,
- Disfigurement or scarring, and
- Pain and suffering,
You may also be entitled to punitive damages if the other driver’s conduct was reckless, willful, or wanton, and, if the other driver was intoxicated, there may not be a statutory cap on punitive damages at trial.
Compensation for Property Damage in Charleston, SC Motorcycle Accidents
The at-fault driver is also responsible for any property damage that they caused. In most cases, a separate insurance adjuster is assigned to handle your property damage claim and it may be settled quickly.
If the at-fault driver’s insurance company does not immediately agree to full and fair compensation for the damage to your motorcycle, however, your motorcycle accident attorney can help you to recover property damage as well as your personal injury damages.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits – Motorcycle Accidents in Charleston, SC
If your family member was killed by another motorist’s negligence, the personal representative can file a wrongful death and survival lawsuit to recover damages suffered by your family and damage for the suffering of your loved one before their death, including:
- Funeral and burial expenses,
- Mental shock and anguish,
- Emotional distress,
- Loss of companionship, and
- Loss of consortium.
It does not matter if the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet – if another driver’s negligence caused the accident and the motorcyclist was not at fault, the other driver is responsible for 100% of the damage that they caused.
Questions About Lawsuits After a Motorcycle Accident in Charleston, SC?
The motorcycle accident attorneys at the Boles Law Firm can help you to investigate your crash, gather the evidence you will need in court, negotiate with the insurance companies, and recover the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
Call us at 843-576-5775 to schedule an appointment for a free consultation at our North Charleston or Walterboro offices or send us a message through our website.